The Adobe building, located on the grounds of the Castro Valley Elementary School, was leased to the Hayward Area Recreation and Park District for use as a community center. The Adobe was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed by Mario Corbett of San Francisco and built in 1938. The building is located in an elm grove planted by the Castro Valley Boy Scouts in 1926. There are hundreds of 4x9x16 inch adobe bricks made by the W.P.A. from dirt excavated from the site of the Redwood School in Castro Valley. The walls of the Adobe are 16 inches thick. Most of the timbers were hand hewn from discarded telephone poles given to the Castro Valley School District by the Pacific Telephone Company. Stabilized mud was used as mortar and the Glidden Paint Company developed special paint. The original draperies were hand woven by WPA workers from twine supplied by the Castro Valley School District.
20395 San Miguel Avenue,
Castro Valley, CA