Note: This is not an oficial City of Castro Valley website.
Little History About Castro Valley California
Before the arrival of European settlers, the area was settled by the Chocheño (also Chochenyo and Chocenyo) subdivision of the Ohlone Native Americans.
With the arrival of Europeans, Castro Valley was part of the land granted to Mission San Jose in 1797. The area Castro Valley now occupies was part of the extensive colony of New Spain in state of Alta California.
Castro Valley is named after Don Guillermo Castro, who was a soldier in the Mexican army and rancher. Castro Valley was part of the original 28,000 acre land grant given to Castro, called Rancho San Lorenzo. This land grant included Hayward, San Lorenzo, and Castro Valley, including Crow Canyon, Cull Canyon, and Palomares Canyon. Castro had a gambling habit and had to self off portions of his land to pay for gambling debts. The last of his holding was sold in a sherrif’s sale in 1864 to Faxon Dean Atherton for $400,000.
Atherton, whom the city of Atherton is named after, in turn began selling of his portion in smaller parcels. Two gentlemen named Cull (the namesake of Cull Canyon) and Luce bought some 2400 acres and began running a steam-operated saw mill in Redwood Canyon. The Jensen brothers also bought land from Atherton in 1867.
During the 1940s and 1950s, Castro Valley was known for its chicken ranches. Later it developed into a bedroom community, where workers live and commute to their jobs in the surrounding communities.
Being unincorporated, it is governed by the county and does not have any city services. To date, all efforts to incorporate Castro Valley have been voted down by its residents. To find out more please check out the book below.
Castro Valley History Book:
An officer in the Mexican army bequeathed his name to the crescent-shaped basin once known as Castro’s Valley. Driven to ruin by squatters, drought, and gambling debts, he sold a portion of his cattle ranch to Methodist minister Zachariah Hughes, who built a church and school in what is now Crow Canyon. The one-room, redwood school Hughes christened Eden Vale educated about 50 children until a group from the burgeoning town to the south, “Hayward’s,” stole it by wagon in the dead of night. Undaunted, Castro Valley, delineated from its now friendly neighbors by hills, Lake Chabot, and an independent spirit, built and fully supported its own Redwood School. It has now developed into one of the most populous unincorporated areas in the United States. Castro, a gambler, was forced to sell his land to pay his debts, and he sailed for Chile in 1864. Methodist minister Zachariah Hughes and William Mattox were among those who purchased large tracts from Castro. Several families who settled in the area operated huge cattle and poultry ranches.
A talented team from the Hayward Area Historical Society-regional historian Lucille Lorge, along with Devon Weston and Robert Phelps, Ph.D., recent graduate and assistant professor of U.S. history at CSU East Bay, respectively—has compiled a visually engaging and thoughtful volume. Drawing from the best of public and private photographic collections, they lead us from the time of the Ohlone Indians to the modern metropolitan bedroom community that is Castro Valley today.
Author: Devon Weston, Robert Phelps
Publisher: Arcadia Pub
Publication Year: 2005
As of the censusGR2 of 2000, there were 57,292 people, 21,606 households, and 15,016 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,533.0/km² (3,971.6/mi²). There were 22,003 housing units at an average density of 588.7/km² (1,525.3/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 70.84% White, 5.14% Black or African American, 0.59% Native American, 13.54% Asian, 0.44% Pacific Islander, 4.11% from other races, and 5.34% from two or more races. 12.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. There were 21,606 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.0% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.5% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.05. In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males. The median income for a household in the CDP was $64,874, and the median income for a family was $73,060. Males had a median income of $51,068 versus $38,907 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $30,454. About 2.7% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.3% of those under age 18 and 4.5% of those age 65 or over.
Castro Valley is located at 37°42’14?N, 122°4’46?W (37.703796, -122.079384)GR1. Lake Chabot lies at the north of Castro Valley. Directly to the west is San Leandro. Hayward is to the south. To the east, the closest cities are San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton. Interstate 580, which approaches from the east, makes a turn northward at Castro Valley. 238, which originates in Castro Valley connects 580 to 880.
Law and government:
Being unincorporated, it is governed by the county and does not have any city services. To date, all efforts to incorporate Castro Valley have been voted down by its residents.
Castro Valley is served by the Castro Valley Unified School District. The district has one main high school, called Castro Valley High School with approximately 2700 students, and an alternative high school with approximately 200. It also has two middle schools and nine elementary schools, as well as an adult school. Overall, the district contains almost 9,000 students.